There are times when God calls us to set aside what we’re doing and shut down from distractions, so that we can focus on listening to what He is saying. Sometimes, he pulls us aside as individuals, and at other times, there is a corporate call for reflection and diligent listening to gain strategy for what lies ahead.
Spiritual hearing is so important to Him, that He established special times in the yearly calendar so that the people could stop what they were doing, get back on track and move forward in His blessing. One such time is The Feast of Tabernacles, which is celebrated in September. It marks the head of the year in the Hebrew calendar, beginning a new cycle in God’s plan, with new prophetic revelation for the year ahead.
In this special season, God wants to speak to you and me.
If you take the time to seek Him, He will bring revelation for what lies ahead for your life. This is a time to seek, to study, and to quiet your spirit so that you can hear Him. It’s also important to evaluate your spiritual hearing.
What dominates your thought life?
Sometimes, the circumstances of life crowd out His voice. Or it might be that areas of our hearts and minds have become undisciplined, hindering our ability to access His wisdom. If we fail to deal with these obstacles to hearing, we’ll miss the direction He wants to bring.
So this week, take some time to prepare your mind to hear what He wants to say to you. Here are a few areas to evaluate regarding your spiritual hearing moving into next week.
Evaluate Your Spiritual Hearing:
Evaluate yourself in these eight areas:
- Worship: This isn’t about singing; it’s about relationship. How much of your daily life is in connection with Him? Do you actively seek to honor Him and thank Him for His goodness?
- Meditation on the Word: Is this an active part of your life? It’s not just reading the Word, but pondering it.
- Rest: Think of this with regard to who carries the burdens of your heart. Is it God or you? How does stress and worry affect your life?
- Giving: Giving gets your focus off of yourself and your circumstances.
- Prayer: What is the quality of your prayer life? What focus does your prayer life take (is it just about you)? How distracted/focused is it?
- Warfare: How involved are you in the warfare around you? Is your approach active or passive?
- Fasting: In fasting, the heart and mind are actively seeking revelation from Heaven. It reveals a heart of focused submission.
- Work: How much of your work do you carry in your own strength?
How are you doing?
If you see areas that need work, it’s time to take care of business.
This is a strategic time:
The type of wisdom we rely on will dictate our level of effectiveness in days ahead. If we rely on our own wisdom, we’ll fall flat on our faces when we try to build His kingdom. We need the insight and empowering of Holy Spirit. Stilling our minds and submitting our hearts is what enables our spiritual hearing.
This week, I want to encourage you to prepare yourself for the download He wants to bring. Turn off the extra things in your life so that you can focus on hearing Him. Discipline your mind and your heart. Take time for study that is led by the Spirit. Seek out prophetic wisdom from trusted prophets. Turn off the TV, ignore social media and cancel unnecessary meetings. He wants to speak to you. You just have to position yourself to hear Him.
I’m taking some time to do this, myself. I’m attending a key prophetic conference next weekend. I’m also digging into some books that I believe hold wisdom for this next year. Because of that, I won’t be posting next week. I want to focus on hearing what the Lord is saying for me and for you. I hope you do the same!