That’s a loaded question. It really depends on what you’re talking about, doesn’t it?
I mean, if you’re asking about being first in the line for the restroom after drinking three diet cokes (please, for the sake of us all!), or being chosen first when they were picking teams in grade school, then count me in.
But if you’re talking about the first to give the big presentation, or first in line for getting your wisdom teeth removed, there probably won’t be as much jockeying for the front of the line.
Dancing with uncertainty:
Going first isn’t always an easy thing, because it requires that we be comfortable dancing with uncertainty and dancing is rather difficult when you don’t know the steps (or in my case, even if you do). It’s hard, that’s why so few people do it.
I recently published The Vanguard Manifesto to share my thoughts about what I believe God is asking of us in this season. You can get a copy of it here.
I wrote it for a small tribe of people who are willing to set aside comfort and security to go first into the unknown. I wrote it for the vanguards called to shape a new move of God.
This is how I see modern vanguards:
- Vanguards are leaders called by God to advance His Kingdom, His ideas and His solutions throughout the earth.
- They are fierce lovers of Jesus.
- They are willing to go where others won’t, in order to launch a new counter-cultural movement across society.
Is that you?
The world is waiting on us:
Friends, like it or not:
We are the spiritual leaders of our generation.
We can come up with all the excuses in the world for why we can’t, why we’re not qualified, or why it’s just none of our business, but the fact remains, this is our watch. The world we leave our children will be a reflection of how much we cared and how well we warred.
So far, we’re not doing so great.
We need to cut the religious pandering and come up with some real solutions.
- Stealing little girls from a school in Nigeria is our problem, and hashtag activism might be a start, but it isn’t going to get the job done.
- The hypersexualization that Hollywood sells our kids is our problem.
- And what about the fact that we are polluting this beautiful planet that God put us in charge of? What responsibility do we have to that?
I don’t say this to be a voice of condemnation. I say it because I believe that WE are the SOLUTION. We just don’t see it like He does yet.
Do you see what He does?
God has put a limitless creativity within us. He has invested His authority in us. He could have injected us into any time in history, but He chose today, because we carry solutions for today within us.
We can’t change everything, but we can change something.
What’s He calling you to impact? What solution lies inside of you, just waiting to come alive? Will you go first, and lay yourself on the line for Him?
The world is full of challenges, but it’s also full of opportunities to make a difference. You just have to go first.
What do you think? How are you making an impact? What challenges do you face?